Tuesday, April 24, 2012

travel and perspective, part one.

I love traveling. Well, I don't really like flying unless I have some Valium or something of the sort, but I love reaching and exploring new places. :) Traveling is something that makes me feel accomplished, like I'm really doing something with myself. So far in life I have traveled a fair amount in the States and Canada, but my international travel is sorely lacking! I have an empty, sad passport begging for stamps. I'm saving money for a trip by way of cleaning houses, and my partner has some points from a credit card that can go toward airline tickets. So, we're slowly but surely saving up. It's intimidating, though- I tried just, ya know, looking up flights and the like, when it hit me that I have no idea what I'm doing, trying to plan any sort of travel outside of America. Like, literally. I have no clue. Cheapest/safest forms of travel and accommodations while there? Nope. How to speak any language besides English, save for "we're going to the beach" in French? (Thanks, high school!). Again, nope.

Not that the information can't be found... somewhere. But my head started spinning while pouring over blogs/travel sites, so, I think I may contact a travel agent at some point as a starting point for my clueless self. 

In the meantime- here's where I want to go (will probably take more than one trip, says my rational brain, while the free-spirited side of me is like, we can do it all in one trip and it will be amazing and affordable! :|)

From what I've researched, it would be quite a bit cheaper to fly into Dublin as opposed to London. My partner is about 40% Irish, has an affinity for Guinness, is very interested in this heritage, so it would work quite well for us:
 

From there, it'd be over to Scotland/Wales/England...


(Starting to have that thing happen when you look at photos of things you want but can't yet have... like that mix of depression that you're not there now, but excitement that you will be someday)

Then I'd be like, bye...


And mosey on over to France. I'm sure the people will hate me, as I'm from a town named for a French city, except that we completely butcher the pronunciation, I can't speak their language for shit, and I'll probably be the biggest tourist custie ever, geeking out all over the place.

(artist:John Horsewell)





Well, that's all I can do for now. Have to wake up my son from his nap as much as I hate to do that, but if I don't he won't sleep well tonight. Sighs. Also running a few errands and such. Hopefully I will find time tonight to finish this!




No comments:

Post a Comment