Thursday, March 24, 2016

new direction

What do I have to write about? What do I have to share. (conscious punctuation). I feel like nothing, but there’s stuff inside of me that wants to get out so here we are. A blog about nothing, a blog about everything. I am a 30 year old woman. I am married to a man and have two kids. I live in the northeast u.s.a. I recently moved to my hometown from the largest metropolitan area in the state. Adjusting is still happening and I am surprised by it in spite of myself. I am learning that things can happen swiftly, quickly, but that we can play catch up with it for some time. For instance, having a new baby. It’s chaotic. It shakes up your entire household, all the beings in it. Routines, relationships, standings. The baby arrives quickly, but the adjustment period lasts. You think it is a bump in the road before things return to normal, but in fact a new normal now exists that you need to adjust to.

Back to moving. It happened swiftly. There was an interview and job offer within days of one another. Less than three weeks later we were moving into our new rental, by virtue of a very helpful person. In those three weeks, one of my kids broke their arm. He then started kindergarten a week later. Less than a year earlier, he became a big brother. Changes happening swiftly, processing after the fact. Adjustment.

It’s been nearly seven months now, since we moved. The cast was long ago taken off. A school routine has been established, not without many bumps. A work routine. These routines are the scaffolding of our lives. Everything else works around it. We grasp at the routines and try to create our new normal around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment